Saturday, September 25, 2010

HMLT 5203: Applying Theories of Learning to Instructional Technology


In this preliminary course I learnt a lot about various groups of learning theories: behaviorism, cognitivism and constructivism as well as explored Connectivism. Through discourse analysis with course mates and course facilitators, individual reading I gained in depth understanding of the principals, similarities, differences and finally their application in the context of the evolution of instructional technology. It is essentially this course that enabled me to analyse which learning theories are primarily employed in Pakistan education system. It is my understanding that in Pakistan, we should move from cognitivism to social constructivism, as a first step and make use of the various readily available online learning support tools to make the online learning more effective.  In this course we learnt together about various online learning support tools and resources and their underlying learning theories. This was a discussion forum exercise, where all the members chose an example of a tool or resource that supports learning. I selected Learning Object Materials (LOMS), this artifact shows the details. Other tools (and their learning theory framework) about which I got to know through the work of my colleagues were wiki, blogs, podcasting, moodle, visual ranking tools, webquest and open course ware.

Apart from this I conducted a critical analysis of the Connectivism; which is supposed to be a new learning theory in the digital age and stated my position on it. This is presented by the following artifact. Further still, I learnt to apply the learning theories and the ARCS model of motivation in an instructional setting. I presented a report on it in the joint project for the first semester

I will help my university to design learning and make use of the web 2.0 tools to augment online learning that is grounded in the theory of social constructivism and thus make a paradigm shift from the passive, individual learning of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment