Thursday, July 22, 2010

HMID 5003: Principles and Practices of Instructional Design






In this course I got introduced to the wonderful world of Instructional Design.  I learnt about the generic ADDIE model as well as about a number of specific ID models in the field. I can now describe, compare and contrast these different models. Also, I got a thorough understanding of the Analysis Phase which is the first step in the ADDIE model. This artifact that I have chosen to display here demonstrates how I conducted a thorough ‘analysis’ of a given situation and applied the key principles and components of the analysis phase. I chose to respond to this assignment by taking a hypothetical situation created around the given problem. Then I tried to carry out the solution in detailed steps so as to analyze the problem in depth and to later identify the plausible implications of the problem and suggest solutions to mitigate the problem. By analyzing each component of the problem separately, I could clearly see the root cause of the problem. I believe the best approach to tackle a problem is to analyze it completely, from all angles and get to the root of the problem. Then address it at the root level. This activity has refined my analytical skills. This is the first time that I have formally applied these skills in an instructional setting. I believe I can apply the analytical skills in various other Instructional Environments by following the steps that I applied in this particular assignment.

Moreover, I developed an in depth understanding of the design phase of ADDIE model and in this chosen artifact, I synthesized a book chapter which was about the design phase. While synthesizing the given chapter, I related the key principles of the instructional design phase with two actual instances of design phase in an instructional setting that I had come across earlier. I analyzed those two instances in the light of the key principles of instructional design that had been stated in the chapter. By choosing actual instances regarding the design phase, I was able to see what happens in the design phase, what are the things that have to be considered and kept in mind while designing an instructional instance. Through this assignment I learnt that while designing one should have a clear understanding of the needs, requirements, goal and mission of the undertaking. I also learnt that it is vital to take into consideration, during the design phase, the readiness of the audience, environment and the organization about the idea that one wants to implement.

While employing the above two phases of ADDIE as well as the rest of the three phases: development, implementation and evaluation, I designed a project that is given as a ‘joint project’ under the HMLT 5203 course in this blog. I am now trained and adept in applying the ADDIE model to any learning situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment